Eid ah Adha Ram Cupcakes
Eid al Adha is the second holiday on the Muslim calendar and the most important one! (There are only two holidays per year on the Muslim calendar; the first holiday was Eid al Fitr, the Festival of Breaking Fast).
Eid al Adha translates to “Festival of Sacrifice” because the holiday commemorates the story of Abraham’s ram sacrifice, a story that may be familiar to those of the Jewish and Christian faiths as well. Eid al Adha also marks the culmination of Hajj, an annual pilgrimage that takes place near Mecca.
For me, holidays are always a time to get together with family and as an aunt to three kiddos (ages 4, 9 and 11) I like to make use of these occasions to create special holiday memories for the kids.
This year for Eid, I’ll be setting up a cupcake decorating station for the kids. Inspired by reindeer cupcakes for Christmas, I’ve come up with ram cupcakes for the kids to make on Eid al Adha! These are easy enough for the kids to decorate themselves and it’s the kind of activity that all the kids – from the youngest to the oldest – can enjoy!
Eid ah Adha Ram Cupcakes
Supplies & Ingredients
- Chocolate frosting
- Airheads candy, “white mystery” flavor
- Mini ginger snap cookies
- Candy eyes
- Black decorator’s icing
Steps & Directions
1. Use your favorite recipe or box mix to prepare cupcakes. Let cool, and then frost the cupcakes with chocolate icing.
2. Break off a small piece of the Airheads’ candy and roll it into a ball. Push down with your fingers to make the ball into a petal shape. This will be the ram’s ear. Repeat to make a second ear.
3. Break off a slightly large piece of candy for the nose and again roll it into a ball; push down with your fingers and shape the candy into a triangle shape with rounded corners.
4. To make the ram’s horns, you’ll need to cut a pretzel into two, directly in the middle. This is harder than it looks! One way to go about doing this is to put the pretzel on a chopping block and use a serrated knife like a saw. Saw away at the pretzel, applying extremely little pressure with your hands till you get two clean halves. (If you’d like to save time, just use double the amount of pretzels needed, and chop the pretzels regularly. You’ll notice one side will likely crumble and the other side will remain intact. Use the intact side and eat the crumbles.)
Now you’re ready to assemble the cupcakes!
5. Stick the nose you made with Airheads onto the mini ginger snap cookie and use the black decorator’s icing (here I’ve attached a #3 tip onto the tube) to draw the mouth.6. Next add the ram’s horns by gently inserting the end of the pretzel into the cupcake.
6. Next add the ram’s horns by gently inserting the end of the pretzel into the cupcake.
7. Finally, add the ears near the horns and finish by adding the candy eyes.
Voila – your ram cupcakes are ready to eat!
Have a wonderful holiday! Eid Mubarak!
POST BY MANAL AMAN
Manal is the founder of Hello Holy Days! where she shares DIY ideas for Ramadan, Eid, and Hajj. She loves to entertain and you can bet you’ll always have a great time at her parties with fun games and over-the-top details. She lives in Toronto, Canada where she enjoys nature walks and French crepes.